Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Friday, February 19, 2016

New Non-Skid Paint and Final Varnish Application on the Toe and Rub Rails

Sunday, February 14th, 2016


Grabbing a few hours in the evening, I set out to put the final coat of varnish on the toe and rub rails, as well as the freshened up non-skid paint on the foredeck.

I taped off the rails both on deck and underneath the rub rails, and my helper for the evening sanded the surface of the rails with 220-grit paper.  While she was sanding the rail surfaces, I proceeded to tape off the deck in order to apply the new non-skid paint.  With the non-skid areas taped off, I then sanded the old non-skid to generally prepare the surface to accept the new paint.


After I had the old non-skid areas sanded, I then vacuumed the surface to remove the sanding debris, followed by a thorough wipe down with solvent to remove any residual material.  After the surfaces were clean, I applied the final varnish coat to the rub rails and the toe rails, and then moved on to the application of the new non-skid paint.



Total Time: 3 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment