Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Monday, December 28, 2015

Primer Paint for the Cockpit (2nd Coat), Companionway Slide and Cockpit Locker Hatches


December 27th, 2015

With good momentum carrying me through the holiday break, I enlisted Maggie's support in helping to sand the cockpit in order to prepare it for it's second coat of Interlux Primekote.  We had the cockpit and side decks sanded within roughly 45 minutes, and I quickly turned to preparing a batch of the primer paint.  While the 3:1 mixture sat through its 20-minute induction period, I wiped the surfaces clean of any residual sanding dust - we had vacuumed the surfaces after finishing the sanding work.  I also took the time to wipe down the the surfaces of the companionway hatch and the cockpit locker hatches.


After the 20-minute induction period was up, I went ahead and thinned the paint by 20% and began rolling on the paint.


The paint went on curiously thick in this application, I should say marginally thicker than previous applications.  But in the end, I was pleased with the paint job and am ready to proceed with the first coat of finish paint.


As I had mentioned above, and after I finished painting the cockpit and side decks, I painted the top surface of the cockpit locker hatches....


...and the companionway hatch.


While I was painting, Maggie pushed forward with some sanding work on the various trim pieces - those older teak pieces that eventually will be replaced by new mahogany fabrications.



Total Time: 3 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment