Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Monday, December 28, 2015

Sanding & Application of Final Coat of Topsides Paint


December 23rd and 24th, 2015


Having ample time during the last two weeks of the year, and just back from a lovely sail through the British Virgin Islands, I am focused on finishing up the Alva Anne's restoration.  My focus in getting Alva Anne in the water is two-fold: 1. I simply can't wait to sail her, and 2. I need the yard room to accept the incoming Westsail 42, Laniakea...well, that name represents a strong possibility.

During the afternoon of the 23rd I prepared for the following day's paint application by sanding the topsides with 320-grit paper, by hand.  I moved through the surface of the transom, along the starboard side and then finished at the port hind-quarter.


The dull surface is prominent now that I had completed the sanding with the 320-grit.


The following day, after a leisurely morning, I prepared a batch of the Interlux Perfection Oyster White paint, awaited the 20-minute induction period, and then thinned the paint by 10%.  Like I had done with the prior coats, I rolled the paint on with a 4" foam roller.


Happy with the results, I called the 3rd coat the final coat and prepared to move on to other tasks required to complete her restoration.


One of those "other tasks" was the sanding and paint prep for the cockpit locker hatches.  With the stiffeners glassed in, I knocked down the sharp edges and generally smoothed things over to prepare for their first coat of primer paint.  I used the 6" random orbital finish sander and 80-grit pads as well as 80-grit paper by hand.


The last task on the list for today was to apply the first coat of thinned Epifanes varnish to the coaming boards and cockpit seat trim.


The first coat of varnish is thinned by 50%.


Alva Anne's brightwork will be a blend of new mahogany and old teak...at least initially.  The urgency to get her into the water necessitates that I reduce the brightwork scope, so over time I am sure to replace all the trim with new mahogany.  


Total Time: 3.25 Hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment