Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Monday, December 28, 2015

Final Hull Fairing & Continued Varnish Work


December 28th, 2015

In the next couple of days I will be applying the barrier coat and bottom paint, and to this end I am in need of finishing the bottom to accept the paints.  There were a few areas that I was not satisfied with, so I used a spiral saw and "opened" up the areas that I saw as questionable and might present issues later on with continued cracking and flaking of the gelcoat - especially as the hull flexes.  I mixed some epoxy without thickening it and applied that "neat" epoxy to the areas that I recently ground out.  Returning to the shop I mixed another small batch of epoxy and thickened it this time with Interlux 410 Microlight fairing material.  The areas that required the fill were extremely shallow, and as such, I felt did not require a structural thickening agent.



I applied the fairing filler rather quickly as I had circled each problem area with pencil as I ground them out with the spiral saw.


To finish the evening's shortened work session - I had gone into the office today - I flipped the coaming boards and applied the same 50% thinned varnish to the opposite side.


The boards will continue to dazzle as I build the Epifanes varnish through the series of coats.


Prior to varnishing, I gathered a few of the other trim pieces and sanded them to prepare for the thinned varnish application.  It's nice to be in the stage of putting things back together!



Total Time: 1.5 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment