Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Continued Focus on the Brightwork



November 25, 2015


Westsail 42....coming soon.

I'll just come right out and say it folks...I have no pics for you today - full apology.  My focus, and I guess I was extremely focused today, was to continue the dry-fitting of the brightwork.  I managed to removed the recently installed toe rails, which included having to hacksaw through about 6 of the #10 fasteners.  In the process of installing the toe rails last week I managed to break-off the heads of these six fasteners.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit to you that I used the wrong drill to secure the toe rail fasteners during the dry-fit stage...an impact wrench.  I used it to speed up the process of drilling pilot holes and securing the fasteners while not having to change the drill bit each time.  Because I could not find my alternate drill, I conceded to the use of the impact wrench.  My plan to deal with the unusable hole in the toe rail is to simply fill it with a bung, and then drill a new fastener hole an inch to an inch and a half from this "mock" fastener hole.

I used a grinder to take off the portion of the fasteners I had removed with the hacksaw. I ground the stub ends down to the deck level being careful not to grind into the fiberglass.  I also ground down the stub end sticking out of the underside of the toe rail.  Satisfied with the toe rails and having a plan for their eventual finish installation, I turned to the coaming boards.

I first took the port coaming "blank" and fitted it to its eventual home by making several angle just with a small Japanese saw.  With the port coaming board roughed-in, I then placed the starboard coaming board in its position and then used a jack and a small length of  1" X 2" to press the boards into the molded fiberglass coaming shape.  With the boards pressed into the position they will hold when finally installed, I marked along the outside of the coaming board at the point where the board rose above the molded fiberglass backrest for the cockpit seat.  I later used this line to position the fasteners for installation.  The boards were both about 71" in length.  I spaced out the position for eight 1/4" philips head machine screws. I pre-drilled on the marks, and then followed up with a 1/4" pre-drilling.  

After both boards where pre-drilled for their fasteners, I once again placed the boards in their final resting position secured with the jack and brace.  With the boards in position, I used #7 drill bit to marked the point on the molded fiberglass backrest for pilot holes.  I then removed the boards, and with the #7 bit, I drilled holes for the fasteners.  Before I dry-fitted the coaming boards, I tapped for the 1/4" machine screws.  After the fastener holes were tapped, I again mounted the coaming boards with the jack and brace and secured the port coaming board.  The 1/4" machine screws are mounted with finish washers and backed with 1/4" nuts and washers.

I will complete the starboard coaming board tomorrow and then turn my attention to the preparing for installation of deck hardware.

Total Time: 5 Hrs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment