Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Brightwork, Outboard Bracket, and Deck Fairing

November 26, 2015


I finished up the installation of the starboard coaming board in the morning, completing the dry-fit installation of the coaming boards.  


The fasteners being used are 1/4" 1 and 3/4" long machine screws with finish washers, backed with a washer and a nut - eight per coaming board.


I also took the opportunity to bore a hole at the aft end of each coaming board to accept a bung, I used a 3/8" forstner bit and then drilled a pilot hole for the eventual #8 pinhead screw.


....and the port side.  You will notice that I have not rounded the edges as of yet  -this will be done after I remove the coaming boards for final paint work.


I also marked and over-drilled for the outboard bracket.  The Cape Dory Typhoons came with a bronze outboard bracket that hung off the taff rail and was removable when not in use.  The bracket inserts into the base (pictured) and then articulates down to rest on top of the taff rail.  Today, I settled on the location of the base and then marked the location of the fasteners.  Next, I drilled a pilot hole through the poop deck and then followed that with a 1/2" forester bit.  The larger hole will be filled with thickened epoxy and then tapped for silicon-bronze machine screws, backed with a 3/8" thick fiberglass backing plate.


I "washed" the holes with acetone and then wetted the core with neat epoxy...


...after which, I filled the over-drilled holes with epoxy thickened with colloidal silica and micro -balloons.  I will sand the surface and apply another coat of epoxy primer prior to drilling and tapping for the machine screws.


I also took the opportunity today to repair some of the larger cracks in the gelcoat.  I used a spiral saw to open up of the cracks so that I could apply epoxy thickened with micro-light - a fairing compound that sands easily for final fairing work prior to painting.  The picture below is forward portion of the cockpit sole at the base of the companionway.


I also took care of a few cracks at the base of the starboard cockpit seating (below).


Additionally, I took care of the cracks at the base of the mold fiberglass backrest on the port side.


Finally, I finished up the over-drilled fastener holed for the foredeck cleat.  I prepared these holes the same way in which I prepared the base for the outboard bracket.


The last item on the list for today was to glue and screw the forward returns for the coaming boards.  The returns bridge the opening between the forward end of the coaming boards and the cabin sides.  I "washed" the mahogany with acetone and then wetted the surfaces with neat epoxy.  Later, I thickened some epoxy with micro-balloons and set the returns in place.


To keep things clean, I taped the areas to be glued.


With a small squeegee I cleaned up and squeeze out, fore and aft of the returns.


I had intentions of using clamps to maintain pressure, but in the end I felt I did not need the additional force having made good contact and achieving good squeeze out.



Total Time: 4.5 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment