Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Priming the Foredeck and Cockpit

November  27, 2015


My primary focus today was to get primer on the cockpit, and while I was at it to paint another coat on the foredeck and cabin top/sides.  Before I mixed up a pot of the Interlux Primekote epoxy primer, I first sanded the fairing work that I prepped the day previous.  Using 150 grit paper I sanded the several areas down to fair with the adjacent gelcoat surface.

Below, a 6" to 7"-long crack in the cockpit at the base of the companionway step.  The fairing compound that I mixed up and applied the previous day is West System's Microlight - a low-density filler that offers exceptional sanding and fairing characteristics.  All cracks were opened up with a spiral saw to create more surface area which allows for a better epoxy bond.


Below, small cracks in the cockpit at the base of the starboard seating.


Below, a fairly lengthy crack on the port side at the base of the molded backrest - coaming board is mounted here with two fastener holes visible.


I repositioned the port side coaming return, moving it aft by roughly an inch. This required filling the original fastener holes, which was done with the microlight product.


Below, a few cracks on the forward portion of the coach roof, as well as at the mast step base.


Below, the foredeck cleat required a bit of fairing as well; however, for the fact that this cleat will often be under load, I used a combination of colloidal-silica and microballoons for added strength.


After the sanding and fairing work was finished, I moved on to vacuuming the decks and cockpit thoroughly and followed that with a wipe down with a solvent to remove any residual sanding dust / contaminates.  


The epoxy Primekote was mixed in a 3:1 ratio and allowed to spend 20 minutes in the pot for its induction period.  After the twenty minutes had elapsed, I thinned the primer by roughly 20% with Interlux 2333N.  I applied the the primer with a 4" foam roller, moving from bow to stern.  


With the paint on I moved over to the shop to do a bit of work on the coaming boards.  Using a block plane I took the bottom edge down to the finished dimension and generally prepared the board for sanding work.


I purposely avoided putting another coat of primer on the poop deck due to some fairing work that I was in the process of completing for the outboard bracket.  So, mixing up another small batch of epoxy mixed with Microlight, I finished the day by applying the fairing compound to the four over-drilled fastener holes. These fastener holes were over-drilled to protect the core in the poop deck.  Prior to installation of the outboard bracket base, I will drill and tap for the silicon-bronze screws. 



Total Time: 5 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment