Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Dry-fitting the Toe Rails


November 14, 2015


After taking care of the lawn work - yes, I am still cutting the lawn well into November! - I went straight into dry-fitting the toe rails.  The toe rails were purposely scaled up in size just a "hair"and this would require some detailed fitting work - namely where the rail joins the bronze stem fitting.  



With a miniature Japanese saw I encouraged the new toe rail into the stem fitting.


After the toe rail was made to feel at home adjacent the stem fitting, Maggie (my helper for the day) and I focused on installing the toe rail.  With the holes drilled out for the bungs already I countersunk the base of the holes and then processed to drill pilot holes for the #10 fasteners.


With the pilot holes drilled I secured the rail to the deck with the #10 screws.


Making my way aft...


Maggie enjoyed a moment of satisfaction after the starboard rail was installed.


In the end, we completed both the starboard and port toe rails.


We had some issue with the rub rail, and so scratched that installation from the docket.  I failed to countersink for the fasteners, and so the first one I attempted to install split the new, beautiful mahogany rail!  I am actually on the fence on whether I will even use the rub rail...the toe rails look great as they are.


With homemade chicken soup on the menu, we wrapped up the day's work and closed the shop.



Total Time: 3 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment