Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Foredeck Cleat Installation & Misc. Deck Hardware Prep.


Sunday, February 7th, 2016

Ahead of the Super Bowl festivities, I wanted to get at least the foredeck cleat on the boat. I made a run to the hardware store for a 5/16" tap, but due to its size at the base I had to use a locking wrench for the assist in creating the threads.  I started by pre-drilling...


...and then tapped the fastener holes with the 5/16" tap.


As I moved from hole to hole, I finished by slightly over-boring the holes to allow more polysulfide to fill and protect the opening from water intrusion.


The prepared fastener holes ready to accept the cleat and silicon bronze machine screws.


I liberally applied the polysulfide to the underside of the cleat, to the deck holes themselves and just under the machine screw head prior to it being seated into the cleat.  I will cleanup the squeeze out after the polysulfide cures somewhat.


I applied a couple backing plates to the underside as well.  The length of the machine screws will be taken off with a hacksaw at such a time WHEN I HAVE IT!  :)


I finished up by preparing a number of teak bases for the balance of the deck hardware.


Total Time: 2.5 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment