Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Final Coat of Finish Paint on the Decks, Hull Fairing, and Bung Cutting


December 30th, 2015

Being on vacation is still necessitating that my mornings are slow and easy!  I'm out of bed by 9am, and enjoying coffee and talking heads until at least 11am.  I could be a bit more disciplined with my time during this crucial time; crucial in that I need to have Alva Anne in the water soon!  Well, I'm honestly not as demanding on myself as I used to be.  

After I made it out of the house, I began right away with the fairing of the bottom to prepare it for its barrier coat tomorrow.  The thickened epoxy application I applied yesterday was well-cured, so I started by water washing the amine blush from the surface, and then sanded to fair with 80-grit pads on the random orbital finish sander.   The picture below shows a field of small "fills" that I had applied the previous day - tan colored 'splotches.'


With the bottom sanding completed, I turned my attention to once again sanding the cockpit and decks.  As I had done the previous day, I sanded with 320-grit paper.


I made my way around the boat within one session of NPR's Fresh Air.  Sanding can be quite enjoyable whilst one is on vacation!   


After I completed the sanding work, I vacuumed the surfaces completely.  Prior to wiping the decks with solvent I mixed a 12oz batch of finish paint, and while I awaited the 20-minute induction period I chose to wipe the surfaces with solvent to clean any residual sanding reduce - there is always a good bit of lingering dust.  


The painting was again with a 4" foam roller, as well as using a small foam brush in the tight spots.  I have achieved a great feel for the balance of thinning agent, and as a result the paint lays down very nicely and produces an attractive finish.


With the painting wrapped up (finally!, seriously, a couple spots that I didn't care for had me obsessing extensively...enough, move on!), I then moved on to taping the water line for the barrier coat / ablative bottom paint.  Using the previous tape as a guide, I applied the next round of tape. I elected not to paint a boot stripe on the boat, opting for a look that hearkens back to the paint schemes of yachts in the early 20th and 19th centuries.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this actually looks on the 19' Cape Dory - I'm hoping my vision looks as attractive in the real world :)  After the new tape line was applied, I followed up with sanding the new border as well as the surface previously hidden by the first tape line with 80-grit paper.  Prior to the first coat of barrier paint tomorrow I will thoroughly wipe down the surface of the bottom with a solvent.


To complete the day's work, I wrangled up a section of the mahogany material and drilled some bungs for the eventual rub and tow rail install.



Total Time: 5.75 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment