Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Barrier Coat & Bottom Paint


December 31st, 2015

I awoke this morning earlier than I would if I did not have a huge milestone in front of me...painting on the barrier coats and bottom paint.  I needed pretty much the entire day to accomplish this goal, so I was up by 8am!  I blew out the cobwebs, through together some muesli, and was on the project by 9:15.  Because I wasn't interested in sanding between coats of the barrier coat application, as well as the application of the first coat of ablative bottom paint, I needed to work the paint on in successive coats.  The heat of an atypical Florida December cut my open time between coats, and because of this  I was nearly finishing a coat and then mixing up another batch of Jamestown Distributors' TotalProtect from their TotalBoat line of products.  


I began the morning by fine-tuning the boat stands and clearing the work area of nuisance materials that would inevitably cause me to trip and stumble.  After the work area was safe, I mixed up a batch of the TotalProtect barrier coat product in a 3:1 ratio.  I mixed 32oz of total product as I was unsure of the exact amount that I would need, and as it turned out I had some left over after the first application.  I awaited the required 20-minute induction period, but used this time to solvent-wash the hull for any missed sanding residue or contaminants.  


The pics above and below show the ugly bottom that had become this Cape Dory Typhoon...soon to be corrected.


I used a 9" foam roller to apply the 2-part epoxy barrier coat to the majority of the bottom and a chip brush to the tight places that the roller could not access: trailing edge of the keel as it meets the leading edge of rudder, and just above the trailers bow stand as this was not engaging the boat.


I was nearly finished applying the first coat of TotalProtect when I noticed the foam roller began to give up the ghost.  Apparently the adhesive holding the foam to the cardboard core was melting with the reaction to the the epoxy paint.  I bought these foam rollers from West Marine (yeah, I know!) specifically for the purpose of being resistant to harsh solvents...not too resistant.  The second coat was applied using a 3/8" nap roller also resistant to solvents, and this roller held up extremely well!  The pictures above and below were taken after the second coat had been applied.


Pictured below, Alva Anne wearing her new pants (third coat of the 2-part epoxy TotalProtect barrier coat).


The application method I used today is called "hot coating." Essentially, when the epoxy becomes tacky to the touch but does not leave paint on your finger then you are safe to proceed with the next coat of paint.  This hot coating technique was used for all 4 coats of the TotalProtect barrier coat, as well as the first coat of Pettit SR-40 ablative bottom paint.  The bottom paint chemically bonds with the barrier coat paint and thereby creates the necessary adhesion of the two paints.


The pictures above and below show Alva Anne with her first coat of bottom paint.


The bottom paint and topsides paint scheme came out great...I think.  For those interested, Interlux Perfection Oyster White and Pettit SR-40 Red.


Well, now that's a sharp looking Cape Dory Typhoon!  Alva Anne is nearly in the water.  The brightwork varnishing is happening whilst I am completing this other daily (daylight) chores....but now it's time for some champagne, Happy New Year to all!!!



Total Time: 7.25 Hrs.


2 comments:

  1. Now that's a nice looking CD-Ty. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate that Dan. Doing these projects is great fun, but always good to hear encouragement from other interested people!

    Thanks,

    Brian

    ReplyDelete