Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Topsides Sanding (Paint Prep), Part 2


October 10, 2015


Wanting to get a quick session in prior to taking the kids to a local university women's volleyball game (daughter expressing interest), I grabbed a couple hours to continue the path forward with painting the topsides.  I worked the 5" random orbital across the starboard topsides to remove the old paint, and generally get the surface ready for a higher grit pass prior to primer.  I used 60-grit pads, lightly working the surface as I moved from bow to stern...ending up finishing the transom.


If you are wondering what the black splotches are, well I applied spray paint to just cover the epoxy fairing work done after removing the rub rails and the transom brackets for the stern light, motor mount and the ladder.  I applied this protective coat as I wasn't sure when I would get around to applying the primer coat, as exposed epoxy has a lifespan.


Another shot of the stern.  Forgetfulness dictated the use of the finish sander as opposed to the Porter Cable 8335...I ran out of pads for both the 5" and 6" version of these workhorses.


Tomorrow, I will finish off the port side, and if time permits I will clean up and tape off the waterline in order to be ready to apply the first coat of primer.



Total Time: 2 Hrs.


No comments:

Post a Comment