Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Topside Sanding, Part 3 & Bottom Fairing


October 11, 2015


Rummaging  through the work shop I came across 6" PSA disks for the 8335....yes! I'm in business!! The forecast today called for a high of 75 degrees with low humidity...a perfect day for sanding, and boat work in general.  I donned the full-face respirator and began sanding on the port topsides.  Using 80-grit pads, I made my way from the bow to stern in 1 hour!  Yep, blazing a trail with the 8335 versus the porter cable finishing sander (painfully slow).


The yellowish areas is a primer on top of white gelcoat - a paint job by the previous owner.


After finishing up the port side, I moved over to re-sand the starboard side with the 80-grit pads - as well as the stern.  The topsides are now ready for primer paint.  In the coming days I will tape off the waterline and apply the first coat of Interlux Primekote.


After finishing up the topside sanding, I turned my attention to sanding the first round of fairing filler on the bottom.  I worked my way around the boat, including rudder, in pretty quick fashion.  I noticed several low spots on the previous filler application, so I reserved time today for a second round of filler to be applied.  


The photo below shows the first round of filler (lighter purple) and the second round of filler to correct the low spots (dark purple).



Total Time: 6 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment