Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Second Application of Fairing Filler

July 7, 2015

After yesterday's sanding of the first round of fairing filler (West System epoxy thickened with micro balloons), I noticed several areas that required further attention.  Inevitably, filling old fastener holes, cracks and general imperfections in the surface will require additional rounds of filling and then fairing. I wanted to take the opportunity this evening to spot fill those areas that needed additional work.  So, after cleaning the surfaces with solvent, I mixed a batch of epoxy and thickened it with the micro balloons - similar to West System's 410 Microlight.  Working around the boat, I spot applied to the low spots, bringing these areas generally fair with the surrounding surfaces.  In the coming days, and as time provides, I will water wash these areas and sand to fair.  After, I will determine if an additional round of filling and fairing is required.


I took no photos of this evening's work, but these photos taken after sanding the first round of fairing work show examples of low spots that required further attention.



Total Time: .5 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment