Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Monday, July 27, 2015

Removing Bottom Paint (Port)


July 27, 2015


Beginning where I left off the day prior, I started the bottom paint removal on the port side of the boat.  Spraying on the paint stripper in sections, I worked my way forward taking off the anti-fouling paint.  I tended to spray several sections at a time so that I could make the best use of my time - awaiting the ~15 minutes for the chemical to loosen the paint adhesion allowed me time to scrap alternate sections.


Another shot of the work area (darker spots).


At some point in the boat's history the waterline was raised above the factory-marked waterline.  There appeared to be two separate primers / barrier coats used between the bottom and the newly struck waterline - the gray swath of paint between the flesh-colored barrier coat on the bottom and the red boot stripe.  


My plan is to lower the current waterline while raising it slightly from the factory waterline.


A few more applications of the paint stripper and then sanding with 40-grit pads will clean up the bottom and prepare it for the next step - filling and fairing in voids in the fiberglass structure.



Total Time: 2 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment