Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Removing Bottom Paint (Port, continued)


July 28, 2015


Getting back to the port bottom paint removal, after my day job I quickly shed the office attire and donned the respirator and work clothes for a session on the bottom.  Wanting to keep the airborne particulate matter at a minimum, I chose a chemical means to a paint-free end.  Yesterday's work on the port side left me with approximately 60% of the paint to remove, and I quickly set about applying the paint stripper to the areas needing attention.


After the perfunctory 10 to 15 minute working time, I began the removal of the anti-fouling paint with a scraper tool. 


Results after the first pass were typical: there were areas where the anti-fouling paint resisted the chemical more so that other areas, but progress was definite.


A shot from the bow after the first pass.


I had limited time this evening to work on Alva Anne, but was able to get two passes in with the paint stripper and scrapping.  The view from the stern shows nearly all of the anti-fouling paint removed, and ready for sanding.


what remains on the port bottom is a couple spots where the stand pads engaged the hull; in addition, the underside of the keel also will need to be stripped, but the bottom is 95% stripped at this point.  As I stated above, I will come back with 40 and 60-grit pads to remove what was apparently a poorly applied epoxy barrier coat.  I plan to take the bottom back down to the original gelcoat, identify areas that need structural fill attention, and then fill and fair those areas prior to application of a new barrier coat system.



Total Time: 1.5 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment