Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Varnishing, varnishing, varnishing, access plate!


January 31, 2016

Over the course of a few days, I have applied a couple coats of varnish on the majority of the brightwork...and managed to install the new access plate in the aft cockpit bulkhead.

To begin with, the access plate was a We$t Marine special - didn't feel like ordering and waiting for arrival, so I just slapped some cash down and said "thank you, may I have another."

The installation was straight forward: set the plate against the existing opening and traced the new outside diameter, I then used a spiral saw to enlarge the hole to accept the new, slightly larger access plate.  Not wanting to go through the task of the final install, I just set the new plate in place and moved on to other tasks that I needed to get through for this lazy Sunday afternoon.



It's nice having "new" onboard...first impressions are so important!


I then turned my attention to the toe rails and rub rails.  In the course of removing the portions of the bungs that stood proud of the rails, I accidentally chipped too much material from a few bungs...leaving a harsh depression in the rail to bung surface.  I decided to remove these three (3) bungs and reinstall new ones...no big deal, easy...moving on.  



Once I replaced the three offenders, I moved into sanding the surfaces of the rails themselves. 


After the rails were sanded and prepared for another coat of varnish, you guessed it!, I applied.  In the process of completing the varnish work on the rails and wanting to move into another project, I neglected to take a photo or two...sorry.  Trust me, they look nice.


The final project for the day was to put another coat of varnish on the inside of the coaming boards.  I decided to do this as I had varnish left over in the pot, no, I am not wasting this stuff!

I sanded the inside surface with 220-grit paper, and then wiped the surface with a solvent to remove all sanding debris.


I then applied the Epifanes, stood back and enjoyed the reflective curiosities.



Total Time: 6 Hours, over a few days

No comments:

Post a Comment