Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Final Toe and Rub Rail Install & Continued Varnishing


January 9th, 2016 


The day had come for the final installation of the rub rails and the toe rails.  The installation was straightforward and easy:  I applied a Boatlife polysulfide (teak brown) to the underside of the toe rail, and started with the bow for the first fastener.  I had a helper on hand today which makes installation SO much friendlier.  From the bow, I worked my way aft one fastener at a time.  For the rub rail, I duplicated this process. 


The polysulfide had decent squeeze out, but I reapplied in some gaps that did not fully close.  I will wait until tomorrow to remove the squeeze out.


My last task on the rails for the day was to install bungs in the fastener holes.  


Prior to closing up the shop for the day, I wanted to get another coat of varnish on the coaming boards and trim pieces.  I sanded the surfaces with 220-grit paper by hand, and wiped the surface clean with a solvent.


I very slightly thinned the Epifanes varnish and applied.



This coat of varnish is the third; two more coats before installation.


Total Time: 7 Hrs.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work on that varnish.

    She's becoming a beautiful still boat.

    ReplyDelete