Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Gluing Up Starboard Toe Rail

November 5, 2015


Wanting to get the last of the rails glued up, I took an hour this evening and prepared the starboard rail for just this task.  I sanded the starboard rail to remove imperfections imparted onto the boards from the table saw, wiped down the scarf joints with acetone to remove the sanding residue, and then wet out the scarf joints with neat epoxy.


I allowed some time between wetting out the scarf joints with neat epoxy (epoxy not thickened with filler agents), but then mixed up some epoxy thickened with colloidal silica and micro-balloons.  I then applied the thickened epoxy mixture to the scarf joints and then clamped those joints securely.


I removed some most of the squeeze out.


My next task will be to shape the rails and pre-drill for eventual installation.



Total Time: 1 Hr.

No comments:

Post a Comment