Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Second Coat of Deck Primer


October 20, 2015


When I made it home from the office I made immediate plans to take advantage of the fine fall weather here in the sunshine state by getting a second coat of primer of the deck of Alva Anne.  Knowing that I would be ultimately finishing up in the dark I arranged some work lamps prior to delving into the meditative sanding process.  With lamps set up I turned to the bow, and with 150-grit paper and gloves to protect the fingers, I set out to work my way from front to back - bow to stern for the boating enthusiasts. 


I took my time around the tight areas: base of the bow pulpit, around the stem fitting, etc., but made good time in the open fields.  I also sanded the small amount of fill work and fairing work that I had done in the prior session (transom, poop deck, and foredeck cleat).


After I wrapped up the sanding work I vacuumed the entire deck and cockpit (small boat, went quickly), and then proceeded to mix up a batch of the Interlux PrimeKote.  While I awaited the 20-minute induction period I went ahead and wiped down the areas that I would be painting with Interlux 2333N brushing thinner.  This thinner is recommended as not only a thinner for brushing the PrimeKote but also as a solvent to remove any residual dust residue or contaminates.  


I used a foam brush this time for the areas that were hard to get good contact with the smaller diameter foam roller.  Again, the tight areas were the base of the bow pulpit, stem fitting, around the deadlights and navigation lights on the cabin sides.  The foam brush worked well for the primer, and I imagination I will have to take greater care during the finish coat applications.


It was a straightforward session on the boat.  Applying primer to the deck is making for dramatic improvements in the appearance of this class plastic. 



Total Time: 2.5 Hrs.

3 comments:

  1. Nice work. She's coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan; she's closer to being in water with each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself the same with with each project I work on. Still plenty ahead of me.

      Delete