Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Monday, September 7, 2015

Re-blocking and Sanding the Keel

 September 5, 2015


I had a couple hours to work on Saturday morning due to plans in the afternoon that would take me to Gainesville for the Gators' season opener against New Mexico State, so after an early morning workout I jumped right into the work.  Since my time was limited, I thought the best use of that time would be to re-block the boat to provide sanding access to the underside of the keel.  But before I could do this there were places on the underside that I needed to finish sanding.  That sanding work complete, I turned to slowly raising the aft portion of the keel off of the block in order to stage another set of blocks just forward of that one.


I set up two sets of blocks on either side of the trailer's keel board, and then bridged those two sets of blocks with a couple additional boards.  The effect was to remove the weight of the boat from the trailer and transfer that weight through the blocking to the concrete pad.  This also provided me with access to the very aft portion of the keel's underside for sanding work.


Once I had access to this portion of the keel I made quick work of eliminating the remaining anti-fouling paint and barrier coat.  There would be some additional grinding work to eliminate voids in the laminate, but that would be on another day.  Time to get ready for the Gator game!



Total Time: 2 Hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment