Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Cape Dory Typhoon, Weekender

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Cockpit Brightwork & Hardware Removal (1 of 2)


June 23, 2015


Needing to keep the 'momentum' of the restoration so as to not delay the splash of Alva Anne, I set out for a couple hours worth of work once I was home from the office.  Today's focus was the continued removal of the brightwork, and if time permitted, hardware removal.  The brightwork had not weathered well, being the original unvarnished teak.  The picture below shows the boat prior to removal of any brightwork.  The first of the brightwork to go was the starboard coaming, and removal went without issue.  There were a few stubborn fasteners that offered some resistance, but in the end they succumb to my persistent persuasion.  I continued with removal of the port coaming, as well as the aft cockpit trim.  In addition to the coaming boards, aft cockpit trim and cockpit seat trim, I removed the winch bases to further prepare for surface preparation (sanding, filling and fairing prior to paint).  After the brightwork was removed, I turned to the hardware installed on the poop deck.



Prior to removing the hardware from the poop deck, I snapped a few photos to log the arrangement of cleats and mainsheet blocks.


Before I lost all but the last of the fading light, I had removed one cleat, two mainsheet standup blocks and the mainsheet cam cleat.


The photo below shows the starboard seat with the coaming and seat trim removed.  The residual "bedding compound" - not knowing the actual product used - outlines the areas where the coaming board and seat trim reside.


...and the port cockpit seat with coaming and seat trim removed.


I collected and labeled the brightwork prior to bringing it into the shop.  I plan to use these boards as rough templates for the new brightwork, and plan some minor alterations to the dimensions.



Total Time: 2 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment